Great Grandma’s Pasta Sauce
Yep, this is slow cooked for hours, just like Grandma's homemade pasta sauce. Hearty with browned ground beef, and flavorful with a mixture of basil and other spice. Perfect to top any fresh cooked pasta.
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 1 (24-ounce) jar tomato puree
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of onion powder
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 140mins
Adapted from tablefortwoblog.com
In a large stockpot, saute garlic until soft and fragrant in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, about 2 minutes.
Throw your meat in with the garlic and brown until meat has been thoroughly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour in the tomato paste, tomato puree, and seasoning, including the fresh basil. Stir to mix well. Fill the empty tomato paste can will water, and pour it in the stockpot.
Let mixture simmer, uncovered, for 2 or more hours (the longer the better, but minimum 2 hours), stirring occasionally.
Serve hot over fresh pasta.
You'll also love
- Best Bread Pudding 4.4/5 (55 Votes)
- Holly Fudge 4.5/5 (46 Votes)
- Apple & cherry strudel 4.5/5 (46 Votes)
- Crunchy honey garlic pork chops 4.5/5 (46 Votes)
- Pasta Bolognese by Anne Burrell 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Cheese, Beef & Noodle Casserole 4.2/5 (52 Votes)
- Nova Scotia Green Tomato Chow 3.5/5 (509 Votes)
- Rosy Tartar Sauce 3.5/5 (2 Votes)