No need to go to your favorite Italian restaurant when you are craving Chicken Parmigiana! This recipe comes together quickly and easily, with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- TOMATO SAUCE:
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, pounded thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons water and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil or pure olive oil
- Tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed with some kosher salt to make a paste
- 2 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed in a blender
- 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley
- 1 Cubano chile pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge each breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
Divide the oil between 2 large saute pans and heat over high heat until almost smoking. Add 2 chicken breasts to each pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and top each breast with some tomato sauce, a few slices of the mozzarella, salt and pepper, and a tablespoon of Parmesan. Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with basil or parsley leaves.
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add pureed tomatoes with their juices, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 cup water, bay leaf, parsley, Cubano pepper, and bring to a boil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Ramen Crusted Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Stuffing Casserole 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Caramel-Macchiato Tiramisu Parfaits 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped,... 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Crock Pot Santa Fe Cream Cheese... 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Hungry Girl Chicken Parmesan 4.5/5 (4 Votes)