Cheese Tortellini with Sausage Ragu
A quick and tasty weeknight pasta dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground mild italian sausage
- 2 cups marinara sauce Mine, I mean Giada's (I make in batches), your favorite recipe, or jarred
- 1/2 cup red wine, (Riojo is one I use often for cooking)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound cheese tortellini, or choose your own pasta
- 2 inch sprig chopped fresh oregano
- 4 fresh basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons, i.e., chiffonade
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high and brown sausage, using a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it browns. To the cooked sausage, add the wine and oregano, cook until wine reduces to 1/4 cup. Add marinara sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Let sauce begin to come to a boil and turn down to a slow simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes add cream, basil and parmesan cheese, and stir to incorporate.
While sauce is nearing the last 10 minutes, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook 7 - 9 minutes until tender, stirring occaisionally. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Serve with extra grated parmesan if desired.
You'll also love
- Easy Clementine Olive Oil Cake 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Canned Salmon Patties 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Crazy Slow Cooker Pork Chops 3.7/5 (208 Votes)
- Beef Empanadas 4.3/5 (45 Votes)
- Seared Scallops with Lemon Orzo 4.2/5 (51 Votes)
- Penne alla Vodka 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Tuscan Tortellini Salad 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Tortellini... 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
Review this recipe