Inside-Out Spicy Tuna Roll With Special Sauce
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons hot chile paste
- 1 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 sheets toasted seaweed (yakinori)
- Mitsukos Perfect Sushi Rice (see recipe) (at least 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1/2 pound sushi-quality fresh tuna cut 1/2"-wide strips
- Wasabi paste as needed
- 2 tablespoons finely-sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, chile paste, hot chile oil, and sesame oil and stir to combine.
Place 1 piece of toasted seaweed on top of a sushi roller (makisushi), with the short end closest to you. Using lightly wet fingers, press enough rice onto the seaweed to completely cover the seaweed, and press firmly so that rice adheres to seaweed. Turn seaweed over so that rice side now faces down. Arrange strips of tuna on top of seaweed, with the tuna strips running vertically in line with the short side of the seaweed, about 1/3 of the way into the seaweed sheet.
Spread a small amount of wasabi on the tuna, then sprinkle with sliced scallions. Using the sushi roller as a guide, carefully begin rolling the seaweed up, pressing as tightly as possible so that the roll is firm and compact. Once the roll is completely rolled, reposition roll on sushi roller and press again. Sprinkle sesame seeds on a flat surface and lightly roll in seeds to coat. Allow roll to sit for a few seconds before slicing with a sharp, damp knife.
Cut roll into 6 or 8 pieces and serve with dollops of sauce spooned on top, or alongside for dipping. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
This recipe yields 4 rolls.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (148 Votes)
- Grilled Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (129 Votes)