These cookies are a great way to achieve the delicious flavors of eggnog-- a custard-flavor with notes of nutmeg and a hint of rum. The texture is crispy on the outside, and chewy in the middle.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon eggnog extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 whole egg
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Coarse sugar, to roll the cookies with (granulated sugar can work okay, too)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Cream the butter and sugar in your stand mixer (or hand mixer) for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add the vanilla, eggnog and rum extract, and egg. Beat until well combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, soda, nutmeg and salt.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and continue on low speed until it’s all added and combined.
Place sugar into a wide bowl or deep dish.
Using an 2" scoop* (or use a teaspoon), scoop cookie dough into your hands,roll into a ball and then roll into sugar. Place onto parchment lined cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart (fits 12 cookies per sheet). Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes. Allow to cool set for about 3 minutes, the set on a cooling rack.
(Note: Only bake until they very slightly start to turn light golden brown just on the edges. You don’t want them to totally turn golden or they’ll be crisp cookies. Check them around 9 minutes, then 11, and so on.)
Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.
You'll also love
- Don't Peek Chicken 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- Sweet, Salty, Spicy Party Nuts 4.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- Holiday Toffee Bars 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Makeover White Christmas Cake 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies 4.3/5 (45 Votes)