- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning plus
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 mild green chiles or banana peppers halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped peeled seeded tomatoes
- (or 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cooked rice
Season the shrimp with Creole seasoning. Set aside in the refrigerator. Make a roux by combining the oil and flour in a large cast-iron or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir slowly with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the roux becomes dark brown, the color of chocolate.
Add the celery, onions, bell peppers, and chiles. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 7 minutes. Add the bay leaves and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and water. Season with Creole seasoning. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until a thin oil film appears on the surface. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking.
Increase the heat to medium, add the broth, salt, and cayenne and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp turn bright pink and the tails curl in. During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, add the green onions and parsley. Remove the bay leaves. Spoon the rice in the center and ladle the Courtbouillon over the rice. Garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 4 main-course servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Garlic Shrimp 4.5/5 (182 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (142 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (140 Votes)