Authentic Anchor Bar Buffalo Chicken Wings
Comments: This is the original spicy Buffalo chicken wings recipe from the
Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. You can adjust the heat by adding more or less
cayenne and Tabasco.
There are many Buffalo chicken wing recipes out
there, but if you want to taste the "real" thing give this a try. The
chicken wings are deep-fried in the original recipe, but the hot oven works
fine for the home version.
- 36 chicken wing pieces (one wing
- makes 2 pieces - the "flat" and the "drum")
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (Frank's
- is the brand used in Buffalo)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- celery sticks
- blue cheese dressing
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. If necessary, cut whole wings into two pieces. In a bowl toss the wings
with the oil, and salt. Place into a large plastic shopping bag, and add the
flour. Shake to coat evenly. Remove wings from the bag, shaking off excess
flour, and spread out evenly on oiled foil-lined baking pan(s). Do not
crowd. Bake for about 20 minutes, turn the wings over, and cook another 20
minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and browned.
3. While the wings are baking, mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a
pan, and over low heat bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and then
4. After the wings are cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the
sauce over the hot wings and toss with a spoon or spatula to completely
Cooking Tip: These are always served with celery sticks and blue cheese
dressing on the side.