golden onion tartlets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 slices pancetta (Italian unsmoked bacon) or bacon, finely chopped
- 24 mini phyllo pastry shells
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and tender. Sprinkle with salt and cook 3 to 5 minutes more, until very tender and deep golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, cream, minced or dried rosemary, and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, cook pancetta in medium skillet over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
3. Arrange phyllo shells on cookie sheet. Divide and spoon onion mixture into shells. Sprinkle tops evenly with pancetta. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, until golden brown. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 24 tartlets.