Carrot Cake with Vanilla Icing
- 1/2 c. organic sugar
- 1 c. organic brown sugar
- 1/2 c. organic apple butter
- 1/4 c. organic canola or grape seed oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 large organic eggs, whites only
- 1/2 c. organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 lb. organic carrots, peeled and shredded on food processor
- 2/3 c. organic chopped walnuts
- 5 c. organic powder sugar
- 3 Tbsp. organic vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 c. melted organic salted butter
- 1/2 c. chopped organic walnuts(optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
1.Peel carrots and shred in a food processor. Set aside.
2.Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
3.Combine sugar through maple syrup in a large bowl. Mix on medium for 2 minutes.
4.Begin to add dry ingredients to mixing bowl. Combine baking soda to flour, one at a time on low.
5.Mix in shredded carrots. Remove from mixer and add walnuts with a spoon.
6.Pour into 2 greased 9 inch round pans.
7.Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan or the cake might stick.
8.While the cake is in oven, make the frosting (or use pre-made vanilla frosting). To make frosting whip powder sugar, milk and butter on high until creamy. If dry, add more milk 1 tsp at a time.
9.Frost cake, top with walnuts if desired.