Lemon Tarragon-Brined Whole Chicken
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 8 tarragon sprigs
- 1 cup kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
Combine 1 cup water, rind, and tarragon sprigs in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Place in a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Add remaining 6 cups water, salt, and sugar, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Place salt mixture in a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag. Add the ice and chicken; seal. Refrigerate 3 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat.
Sprinkle cavity of chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and 1 teaspoon pepper. Lightly coat outside of chicken with cooking spray. Rub the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon and 1 teaspoon pepper evenly over outside of chicken. Place chicken on grill rack (can also roast in the oven)coated with cooking spray over unheated side. Close lid; grill 15 minutes. Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Close lid; grill an additional 30 minutes. Brush with remaining lemon juice. Close lid; grill 15 minutes or until thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°.
Place chicken on a platter; cover with foil. Let stand for 15 minutes. Discard the skin.
You'll also love
- Nola-Style Barbecued Shrimp with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Swirl Pound Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Chops, baked (Amish) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Garlic Hummus 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chopped Kale Salad with Prosciutto... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Oranges in Citrus Syrup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Warm Mushroom and Bacon Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Vegan Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes... 0/5 (0 Votes)