Blueberry Blue Velvet Cake Recipe
This recipe takes a box cake mix up a notch with the addition of Fresh Blueberries and a Homemade Coconut Frosting.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Blue Velvet Cake Mix
- Pint of Fresh Blueberries
- 8 Ounce Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 Teaspoons Coconut Extract
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 2 Cups Flaked Sweetened Coconut
Adapted from hotdishhomemaker.com
1. Prepare Cake Mix as directed, pour the Cake Batter into two 9 inch round Cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick baking spray.
2. In the first pan, take about 1/2 Cup of the Fresh Blueberries and lightly press them into the batter one at a time, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Press them about half way into the Batter. They should not touch the bottom. Do the same with another 1/2 cup of Fresh Blueberries in the second pan of Cake Batter.
3. Bake the Cake as directed on the package, for two 9 inch rounds.
4. Allow Cake to completely cool.
5. Time to make the Frosting! In a large mixing bowl cream together the Butter and the Cream Cheese with a hand held mixer until smooth.
6. Add the Coconut Extract and blend in thoroughly.
7. Slowly add the Powdered Sugar, 1 cup at a time and continue to mix until the Frosting is smooth.
8. Remove 3/4 Cup Frosting and place it in a medium mixing bowl. Fold in 1/2 Cup of the Coconut into the Frosting. This is the filling.
9. Place one of the Cake rounds onto a Cake plate. Spread the Prepared Coconut Frosting/Filling on the top of the first Cake round. Now place the second Cake round on top of the filling.
10. With the remaining Frosting, frost the entire Cake.
11. Now, With the remaining Coconut, lightly press it into the top and sides of the Cake, as you see here on my website www.hotdishhomemaker.com
~The contrast between the White Coconut Frosting and the Rich Blue Velvet Cake is very striking. The flavor is rich and the texture is very moist. Be sure to store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Recipe by: Hot DishHomemaker