Maple-Banana Tart (Tarte Tatin)
Ripe bananas but tired of banana bread? Maple-Banana Tart is a special dessert that's easy to make when you start with frozen puff pastry. Maple glaze. Yum!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 to 7 ripe bananas, sliced into rounds 1/2-inch thick
- Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 90mins
Unfold the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and smooth out any creases or folds. Using a small knife, cut a round of dough that is about 1 inch bigger than the top of an an ovenproof 9- or 10-inch skillet. Transfer the circle to a sheet pan, prick it all over with a fork, and keep it refrigerated.
Heat the oven to 425º F degrees. Meanwhile, heat the skillet over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add the maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let simmer for 5 minutes to thicken slightly. Turn off the heat and arrange the banana slices to cover the whole bottom of the pan.
Carefully lay the pastry circle over the bananas, pressing any extra pastry around the sides of the pan so that it comes up the wall of the pan (rather than down around the bananas). Bake for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day.
Just before serving, warm the bottom of the pan for 1 or 2 minutes on the stove over low heat to loosen the caramel. Place a serving plate over the pan and quickly flip to turn the tart out, so the bananas face up. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
You'll also love
- Pull Apart Monkey Bread 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Frosted Grapes 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Oriental Broccoli (or Cabbage)... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Cherry-Berry Chiller Smoothie 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- LC Banana Oatmeal Smoothie 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Spiced Carrot Cake with Toasted... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- quickloaf - Pound Cake and/or... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)