Side Stuffing with Artichokes and Cremini Mushrooms
Intro: This recipe includes two vegetables that reach their peak in spring: artichokes and cremini mushrooms.
Tip: We used Parmesan and cremini mushrooms in this dish, but your favorite cheese or mushrooms can be substituted in this versatile recipe.
- 16 cups day-old Italian bread, diced in large cubes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 3.5-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat until melted. Add the sausage, garlic, onions, celery, and mushrooms. Crumble the sausage with a spoon and sauté until fully cooked and the vegetables are soft.
Add the chicken stock, rosemary, and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute.
Pour the hot mixture into a large mixing bowl then add the cubed bread, a 1/2 cup Parmesan, and the artichokes. Fold gently and transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining parmesan.
Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.