Hush Puppy Fried Shrimp
This unique fried shrimp batter combines two of my Southern fare favorites; hush puppies and popcorn shrimp—perfect for dipping!
Tip: The dipping sauce for this fried shrimp recipe is addictive! Try using it on your turkey sandwich or even burgers!
- 2 –3 quarts oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp + a dash hot sauce
- 2-1/2 tsp honey
- 1-3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 cup grated onion
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds small shrimp, peeled, tail removed and deveined
Adapted from qvc.co
Heat oil in a 375°F deep fryer or large saucepan.
To prepare the dipping sauce, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, ketchup, 1 Tbsp hot sauce, honey, 3/4 tsp salt, and the black pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
Combine the cornmeal, flour, 1 tsp salt, sugar, and paprika in a large bowl. Combine the grated onion, buttermilk, beer, milk, egg, and dash of hot sauce in another small bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
In batches of 8–10, dip the shrimp into the batter to coat, letting any excess batter drip back in the bowl. Carefully drop the shrimp into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove and drain the shrimp on paper towels. Serve with the dipping sauce.
You'll also love
- Ravioli with Spicy and Sage Butter 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Salmon with Mango Chutney and... 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Pineapple 4.1/5 (52 Votes)
- Shrimp Linguine In A Tomato &... 4.3/5 (47 Votes)
- Pow Pow Fried Shrimp 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- new england fried shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)