Strawberry Chiffon Pie
- 1 recipe Baked Pastry Shell (see recipe below)
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, crushed (about 1-1/2 cups after crushing)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Halved fresh strawberries (optional)
1. Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set aside. In a small saucepan combine gelatin and sugar. Stir in water, egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling; remove from heat. Transfer gelatin mixture to a large bowl; stir in crushed strawberries. Cover and chill for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until mixture is partially set (consistency of unbeaten egg whites), stirring occasionally.
2. In a chilled large mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into strawberry mixture. If necessary, cover and chill about 20 minutes or until mixture mounds when spooned. Spoon filling into cooled crust. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or until filling is firm. If desired, garnish with halved strawberries.
3. Makes 8 slices.