Classic Swedish Pizza Salad
Popular and served in most pizza restaurants in Sweden, this salad got its name pizza salad. Some versions add carrots or celery, customize to your liking!
- 5 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, optional
- 2 cups cabbage, very finely shredded
In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
Place the cabbage in a separate large bowl and pour the dressing over. Using clean hands, squeeze and knead the cabbage well to release juices.
Do a taste test and adjust the flavor to your preference.
Put a heavy bowl on top of the salad and weigh it down. Leave the salad to rest overnight in the refrigerator.
I usually make a bigger batch than I have written up here because this cabbage salad makes a marvelous accompaniment to other dishes too. It keeps well for 5 to 6 in the fridge. When the salad starts to smell like an old scouring cloth, it's time to throw it away.
You'll also love
- Strawberries and Champagne... 4.3/5 (39 Votes)
- Pumpkin-Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Garden Quinoa Salad Recipe 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken & Black... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Apple & Poppy Seed Coleslaw 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
Review this recipe