- 3 Chinese eggplants
- or 1 medium sized American eggplant
- 2 large poblano peppers
- salt and turmeric to taste
- 4 whole dried red chile peppers
- 1 large red or yellow sliced onion
- 4 cloves peeled and chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, pureed
- 2 inch piece of peeled minced or shredded fresh ginger
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- chopped green onions for garnish
Cut the eggplants lengthwise into 4 pieces, then chop into 2 inch pieces. Rinse the eggplants, drain in a colander, pat dry with paper towels, and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle the eggplants with salt and turmeric to taste. Heat oil in a wok or a large heavy-bottomed pan. Add the red chiles, cook until they turn brown, and then remove chiles from pan. Add the onions and cook a few minutes, then add the poblano peppers and garlic, frying until the onion is slightly brown and the peppers are staring to brown. Add the eggplant and cook a few minutes, then add the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
Add the tomato puree, and toss vegetables to coat. Cover and cook until eggplant is almost done. Uncover, add salt and soy sauce and cook at high for a few minutes. Garnish with green onions.