Quick Southern Green Beans
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon (sliced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 small onion (sliced into half-moons)
- 1 pound green beans (trimmed and cut into manageable lengths)
- 2 cups chicken stock (low-sodium or homemade)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (optional but highly recommended!)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from chattavore.com
Preheat a medium saucepan (I used a 10-inch cast-iron skillet) over medium heat. Place the bacon into the pan and cook until almost crisp. Add the onions and cook until they are tender and translucent.
Add the green beans and the chicken stock to the pan. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about twenty minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove the lid and raise the heat to medium-high. Simmer vigorously until most of the liquid has evaporated.
If using, add the brown sugar, stir to coat, and allow to cook until the brown sugar makes a "glaze" on the green beans-two to three minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.