Penne with Broccoli Rabe and Ricotta
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 lean Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- small pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
1. 6 servings
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe; cook for 4 minutes. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a colander. When it's cool enough to handle, chop into bite-size pieces.
3. Add the penne to the same pot of boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining the penne.
4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, crumbling the sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned, 8 minutes. Add the chopped broccoli rabe and saute until tender, about 2 more minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring until well combined, about 1 minute.
5. Adjust the heat to low and add the pasta to the skillet. Toss to combine the ingredients, adding a little of the reserved cooking water if the mixture seems dry. Stir in the ricotta and Parmesan, take the pan off the heat, and toss well. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- FRENCH ONION SOUP 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Orchard Chicken & Bacon Pie with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Four-Cheese Pasta with Peas and Ham 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cheese Ravioli 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Penne Rustica 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Corn Bread and Broccoli Rabe Strata 4.3/5 (3 Votes)