Pasta with Cauliflower, Bacon & Breadcrumbs
The dish is topped with a crunchy and flavorful bacon-panko crumb mixture and given a flourish of fresh lemon juice. This is a perfect weeknight dinner that's ALMOST meatless (given the bacon). This recipe is a keeper.
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large head cauliflower (3 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 pound campanelle pasta (I used farfalle)
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- NOTE: Since I had a small head of cauliflower, I halved all of the ingredients, which yielded 4 servings.
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
BACON PANKO TOPPING:
Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add panko and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until panko is well browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer panko mixture to bowl and wipe out skillet.
Heat 5 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
Add cauliflower and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is crisp-tender and browned in spots, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
Add onion, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened, 4 to 7 minutes. Increase heat to high, add pasta, broth, and wine, and bring to simmer.
Cook pasta, stirring frequently, until most of liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove pot from heat; stir in parsley, lemon juice, and cauliflower; and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve, passing panko mixture and lemon wedges separately.
You'll also love
- Lemon-Lime Jello Salad 3.9/5 (45 Votes)
- Grapefruit Cake from Hollywood... 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Jim N Nicks Cheese Biscuits 4.2/5 (53 Votes)
- David Venable's All-American... 4.3/5 (43 Votes)
- "Chicken" Piccata w/ Gardein 4/5 (48 Votes)
- No Sugar Low Carb Angel Food Cake 3.9/5 (67 Votes)
- Chicken Parmesan Calzones 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Four Cheese Gnocchi 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
Review this recipe