Surrey's Cafe - Bananas Foster French Toast
- Bananas Foster Mix:
- 3 bananas
- 4 cups dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients except 1 banana and thoroughly mix with the hand held blender until it is well combined and uniform.
- French Toast Batter:
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Whip eggs and sugar with a whisk. Add vanilla and whisk until sugar has completely dissolved. Continue to whisk while adding the half-and-half.
- Bananas Foster Sauce:
- 1 pound butter
- 3 ounces dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rum
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1 loaf French bread, cut in 4 pieces
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
Cooking time 16mins
In a hot pot over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar with the vanilla. Wait until butter is completely melted. Remove pan from the heat, add the rum and ignite with a long kitchen match. When the flames die down, add the cream immediately and whisk vigorously until sauce is completely smooth.
Heat some oil in a large saute pan. Stuff 4 quarters of hinged French bread, with the reserved sliced banana, and top with the cream cheese stuffing. Slice the 4 portions of filled bread into 4 diagonal pieces, dip into the batter and pan-fry on all sides until golden brown. Pour the warm rum sauce on a plate. Place the golden pieces of toast on top and garnish with powered sugar.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results