Herb-Butter Roasted Turkey
If your turkey is frozen, allow at least three days for it to thaw in the fridge. Check the turkey as it roasts to make sure that the breast isn’t overbrowning before 2 hours.
- FOR THE TURKEY, LINE ROASTING PAN WITH:
- 4 ribs celery, chopped, divided
- 4 carrots, chopped, divided
- 2 onions, chopped, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole turkey, thawed if frozen (12–14 lb.)
- 1 ⁄2 lemon, chopped
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Salt to taste
- FOR THE HERB BUTTER, PROCESS:
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Assorted fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, and sage
- Red grapes
- Lemon wedges
Preheat oven to 350° with oven rack in lowest position.
For the turkey, line roasting pan with half the celery, carrots, and onion; add broth. Place a roasting rack on top of vegetables; set aside.
Prepare turkey, removing giblets and neck. Reserve neck for stock and discard giblets. Trim any excess skin and fat from turkey, then rinse entire bird (inside and out) with water; dry with paper towels.
Slide your hand between the skin and breast meat at the neck to loosen the skin. Tuck wing tips under the turkey’s body to secure.
Season turkey cavity with salt, then stuff with lemon and remaining vegetables.
For the herb butter, process softened butter, thyme, sage, rosemary, and salt in a mini food processor. Insert herb butter under skin and over entire breast.
Transfer turkey to roasting rack and tie legs with kitchen string. Brush turkey with melted butter, season with salt, and roast 2 hours.
Remove turkey from oven, baste with pan juices, cover breast with foil, and return to oven.
Roast turkey, basting every 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 170°. Remove turkey from oven, transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 30 minutes.
Strain pan drippings into a large glass measuring cup; reserve for gravy (see Delicious Turkey Gravy recipe).
Garnish turkey with fresh herbs, grapes, and lemon wedges.