LEVY RESTAURANT SIGNATURE HOMEMADE CARROT CAKE
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 1/3 cups pineapple, crushed and drained
- 2/3 cups coconut flakes, sweetened
- 1/3 cups raisins
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 2/3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 2 Tblsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat oven to 350
Grease 2 10 inch cake pans and set aside.
Mix together in a large bowl, the oil, sugar, eggs,carrots,nuts, pineapple,coconut and raisins.
In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Add the carrot mixture and blend.
Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until done.
Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
Release the cakes from the pans and cool completely before cutting and frosting.
Cut cakes in 3 equal layers (a total of 6 layers).
Assemble the carrot cake, one layer at a time, frosting each layer.
Finish the carrot cake with a layer of cream cheese frosting on top.
Do not frost the side of the cake, this gives the cake that special homemade country style look.
Garnish with toasted walnuts and coconut.
Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vegetable shortening for 15 minutes.
Mixture must be very smooth and light.
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes.
You'll also love
- Banana Muffins (Food Network) 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Turkey Brine 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Cheddar-Horseradish Soup 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Butternut Squash and Corn Pie 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
Review this recipe