Irish Soda Bread
I have two basic requirements for recipes I consider a success, easy and delicious. This Irish Soda Bread recipe is both easy to prepare and very, very tasty!
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled butter, divided
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from mail.aol.com
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven until butter melts. Remove from oven, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in remaining 1/2 cup chilled butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in raisins.
In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Gradually add to flour mixture, stirring just until mixture is moistened. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm in pan, or remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Cherry Filled Ableskiver 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Deep Dish Crumb Topped Strawberry... 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Peach Cobbler Pull-Apart Bread 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Amaretto Scones 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Carrot Zucchini Bread 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Rachel Allen's Irish Soda Bread 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Irish Soda Bread 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Irish Soda Bread 0/5 (0 Votes)