- 6 cups (1 3/4 lbs) blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 9" pie crust dough disks
- 2 TBS unsalted butter, diced
- 1 lrg egg
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F with a baking sheet on the middle rack. In a lrg bowl, toss the blackberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Let stand, mixing and coarsley mashing occasionally, 20 mins.
2) Fit one round of dough into 9 inch pie plate. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2 inch overhang. Refrigerate while you continue. Cut the remaining piece of dough into approximately eleven 1 1/4 inch wide strips.
3) Spoon the blackberry mixture into the pie shell. Dot the top with the butter. Arrange the dough strips in a lattice pattern on the top of the filling and trim the strips close to the edge of the pan, rool up and crimp the edge. Lightly beat the egg with 1 TBS water and brush on the top and edge of the pie.
4) Place the pie on the hot baking sheet in the oven and bake until the filling is bubbling, 45 mins to 1 hr. If the crust brows too quickly, cover it with foil and continue baking. Let the pie cool before serving.