Black and Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Squash
BONAPPETIT January 2014
- 1 1/2 Cups black rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup micro greens or sprouts
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- Also try it with: Any grain (except amaranth)
Preheat oven to 450. Cook black rice and wild rice in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, 35-40 minutes; drain and rinse, shaking off as much water as possible. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and let cool.
Meanwhile, toss squash with 1/4 cup oil on another baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until golden brown and tender, 20-25 minutes; let cool.
Whisk vinegar, honey, and remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large bowl. Add black rice and wild rice, squash, scallions, pomegranate seeds, micro greens, and pistachios; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Do Ahead: Salad (without micro greens) can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.