Real Food Triple Citrus Bars
Pumped up lemon bars with added lime and orange juices make these the best lemon bars you’ll ever pucker your lips over!
- For the crust
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted organic butter, melted
- 1 cup organic unbleached AP flour
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp. each of lemon, lime and orange zest. 3 tsp. in total, *DIVIDED
- For the filling
- 2 pastured whole eggs, beaten
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 TB flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 TB freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 TB freshly squeezed orange juice
- (*you’ll use half the zest in the filling, 1/2 tsp. of the zest from each fruit)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from realfoodgirlunmodified.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the crust
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined, dump into your glass baking dish, and press evenly using the bottom of a glass, or your knuckles.
Using the tines of a fork, dock the crust (poke holes in it to keep the crust from bubbling while pre baking).
Bake for 20-25 minutes until just starts to brown.
For the filling
Meanwhile, during the last 5 minutes while the crust is pre-baking,combine the eggs, sugar, baking powder, flour and the remaining 1/2 tsp. of each zest in the bowl of your mixer. Mix on medium speed until well combined. The sugar may not fully dissolve, which is okay, but ensure it is mixed well with other ingredients.
Stop mixer, scrape down sides, and return mixer to medium-low speed. Slowly add the juices of the lemon, lime and orange. Mix until combined.
When crust is finished pre-baking, give the filling a quick stir to ensure all the zest hasn’t sunk to the bottom of the mixing bowl, and pour filling over the hot crust.
Immediately return to the oven. Set timer for 20 minutes. Rotate pan carefully halfway through baking. Check at 15 minutes. Bake until the filling just starts to get some color.
Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack. Cool for 10 minutes and dust lightly with powdered sugar if desired.