All Beef Meatloaf
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated on small holes of box grater (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium rib celery , chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium clove garlic , minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (powdered)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread cheese on plate and place in freezer until ready to use. Prepare baking sheet--cover a broiler pan or a cookie cooling rack with two layers of foil and punch holes in it so fat can drain. Then put pan or rack in another pan to catch drips and prevent your oven from smoking you out of the house.
2. Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to small bowl and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk broth and eggs in large bowl until combined. Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion mixture. Crumble frozen cheese into coarse powder and sprinkle over mixture. Add ground meat; mix gently with hands until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute. Transfer meat to foil rectangle and shape into 10 by 6-inch oval about 2 inches high. Bake 55 to 65 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and turn on broiler.
4. While meat loaf cooks, combine ingredients for glaze in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Spread half of glaze evenly over cooked meat loaf with rubber spatula; place under broiler and cook until glaze bubbles and begins to brown at edges, about 5 minutes. Remove meat loaf from oven and spread evenly with remaining glaze; place back under broiler and cook until glaze is again bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Let meat loaf cool about 20 minutes before slicing.