Asian Marinated Beef Strips on a Skewer
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (for beef)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced gingerroot
- wooden skewer, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar or 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large garlic cloves, mashed to paste with pinch of salt (for sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
Trim excess fat from steak; slice steak diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
Combine soy sauce and remaining ingredients in a glass dish; add steak strips, and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Remove steak strips from marinade, reserving marinade.Thread steak strips onto prepared skewers.
Grill, uncovered over medium-hot coals (350°F to 400°F / 175°C to 205°C) 8 to 9 minutes or until desired doneness, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
for sauce In a small saucepan bring vinegar to a boil. Stir in sugar and simmer 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir garlic paste and red pepper flakes into vinegar. Cool.
Serve sauce at room temperature.