White Bean, Sage, and Sausage Soup
The perfect simple dinner on a busy night, this soup gets a double hit of fennel essence from chopped fennel bulb and the fennel seeds that flavor the sausage. Enjoy half for dinner tonight, and spoon half into a freezer bag to make life easier another night.
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 20 ounces hot Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat; cook 10 minutes or until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring to crumble sausage. Add sage and tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add tomato and beans, and cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, or follow freezing instructions.
TO FREEZE: Cool soup to room temperature; seal in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Lay bag flat in freezer; freeze up to 2 months.
TO THAW: Microwave soup in bag at MEDIUM (50% power) for 4 minutes or until pliable.
TO REHEAT: Pour soup into a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated (about 20 minutes).
You'll also love
- Crispy Kale White Pizza 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Peach Dumplings 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Pork Chops with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Turkey Saltimbocca Rolls 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sausage Camembert Spoon Pudding 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Black Beans and Rice 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Black Bean Salad 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms 4.5/5 (4 Votes)