Slivered Pork, Vegetables and Pasta
- 2 cups whole wheat ziti or penne
- 1 tsp. + 2 tbsp. oliver oil
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, fat trimmed, cut into 1/4 in. strips
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat oven to 375.
Cook pasto according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Add 1 tsp. of the oil and toss to coat.
Heat remaining 2 tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add pork and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, oregano and thyme. Cook until onion is almost soft, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in crushed tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
Add to pasta, tossing to combine. Pour into shallow 1-1/2 or 3 quart baking dish. Top with tomato (only around the edges if desired), and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted and slightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.