Kyle's Favorite Beef Stew
Original recipe was for double this amount. This has been scaled down to fit in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- 1-1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 Tbsp.
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. butter
- 1-1/2 large onions, quartered
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup burgundy wine
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh button mushrooms, halved
- 2 Tbsp. warm water
- 1 Tbsp. and 1-1/2 tsp.cornstarch
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 465mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1. Toss the beef, flour, and salt in a sealable bag until the beef is coated.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Combine the beef and Worcestershire sauce in the skillet; cook until the beef is evenly browned on all sides; transfer to a slow cooker, but do not clean the skillet. Add the carrots, potatoes, parsley, and pepper to the slow cooker.
3. Combine the boiling water and soup mix in a small bowl; add to slow cooker.
4. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the melted butter until soft; transfer the onion and garlic to the slow cooker and return the skillet to the heat. Combine the wine and mushrooms to the skillet; cook until the mushrooms begin to absorb the wine; pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
5. Place the cover on the slow cooker and set to High; cook for one hour. Reduce heat to Low and cook until the beef is fork-tender, 6 to 8 hours. Whisk together the warm water and cornstarch; stir into the stew; cook uncovered until stew thickens, about 15 minutes.