Pastina with Peas and Carrots
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) pastina or other small shaped pasta
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 cup (4oz) mascarpone cheese, at room temp
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh basil leaves
Bring a pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or til tender but still firm, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook til soft, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peas to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta. Remove from the heat and add the cheeses. Stir til the mixture is incorporated and forms a sauce, using some of the pasta water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and add the basil.