Chicken & lentil hotpot
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets (900g), trimmed and sliced into 3
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (200g) brown or green lentils, rinsed well
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh marjoram
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Fresh crusty bread, to serve
Cooking time 40mins
Heat 1 tbs oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Season chicken and sear in batches for 1 minute or until golden. Remove from pan. Set aside.
Add remaining oil and onion to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery and carrot, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in stock and 2 cups of cold water. Return chicken to pan with lentils and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 minutes skimming off excess oil.
Add the potatoes, tomatoes and marjoram. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Remove from heat, stir in the spinach and season to taste. Divide among 4 bowls