Broccoli Cheese Soup
Cream and shredded Cheddar cheese make this broccoli cheese soup a perfect supper for a weeknight.
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream, or 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Adapted from katrina-runs.com
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, carrot, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color.
Add chicken broth, and bring to boil.
Reduce to a simmer and add broccoli.Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
Pour in cream and cheese. Stir to combine and melt. Serve hot.