Creamy Macaroni 'N' Cheese
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1/2 pkg light cream cheese
- 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese (orange coloured)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard or 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 regular tomatoes seeded and coarsely chopped
- Additional grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
Boil macaroni following package directions for minimum cooking time, usually 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well and place in an ungreased 8 cup baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until steaming, but not boiling. Meanwhile, cut cream cheese into 1 1/2 inch chunks and grated cheddar. In a small bowl, stir cheddar with flour. When milk is hot, add cream cheese and stir until melted. Gradually sprinkle in cheddar-flour mixture, stirring constantly, then mustard, salt and paprika. Stir often until cheddar is melted and sauce is smooth, from 3-4 minutes.
Pour hot sauce over cooked macaroni and sprinkle and green onions and tomatoes. Gently mix until macaroni is coated. Smooth top. Cover and bake in oven until bubbly for 40-45 minutes. For a golden top, sprinkle with additional grated cheddar and broil about 4 inches from preheated broiler for 3-5 minutes.