Creamy BLT Coleslaw
Imagine a delicious BLT—it's got juicy, ripe tomato; crisp, clean lettuce; savory bacon; and of course, rich mayonnaise. This recipe's got it all, in slaw form.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 5 cups green and/or red cabbage or packaged brocoli slaw, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Ground black pepper
Adapted from bhg.com
In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
In a large bowl combine the reserved drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds. Add cabbage, carrots, sunflower kernels, tomatoes, and green onions; toss gently to coat. Stir in crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer coleslaw to a bowl or storage container; cover and chill overnight.
Serve within 2 hours after removing coleslaw from refrigerator; discard any leftovers.