Best Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns - Made in an hour!
Yes, you read that right. You can make your own homemade hamburger buns, in an hour. If you click on the source link, I will show you step-by-step how I shaped these rolls. Even amateur bread bakers will find this recipe to be fool-proof and delicious. Recipe slightly adapted from All Recipes.com from a white flour recipe, to include whole wheat.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur Flour recommended)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour* (or bread flour. King Arthur Flour recommended)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast (I used Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast)
- 2 tablepoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poppy or sesame seeds
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120°F (50°C).
In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg.
Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
Variation: You can mix all the ingredients in a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer- with the dough attachment. Knead until the dough is elastic and smooth-- 5 to 8 minutes. Divide dough into 10 to 12 equal pieces.
Shape each piece into a square. Don't worry about perfection. To shape the hamburger roll, grab one corner and fold it in, repeat with all four corners. Grab the center, and twist. Place onto a lightly floured surface and gently roll around (folded side down) and then gently shape the sides into a round shape.
TIP: Turn your oven on WARM for 2 to 3 minutes and then shut off. This will help to speed up the "proofing" of your dough.
Place the rolls onto a parchment covered baking sheet (or greased). If you desire softer edges, place the rolls closely together.
If desired, brush each roll with the egg wash and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Cover with a clean tea towel, and let rise for 20 to 25 minutes.
Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Once baked and cooled, these rolls freeze well. To reheat, wrap in foil and bake at 350°F for 5 to 10 minutes.
You'll also love
- Restaurant-Style Enchiladas 3.7/5 (76 Votes)
- Stuffed Onion Bombs 3.8/5 (45 Votes)
- Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake 3.8/5 (97 Votes)
- Cajun Chicken Shrimp Broccoli... 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Mrs. Fields' Gingerbread Men 4/5 (27 Votes)
- Gluten Free Oat Flour Carrot Cake... 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- California Barbecued Beans,... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Beer Bread & Creamy Herb Dip 3.9/5 (44 Votes)