Cranberry Layer Cake
- ~For CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
* In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
* Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
* Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
* In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and orange peel; beat until blended.
* Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12 servings.