Pork and Poblano Chili
This substantial, satisfying "verde" chili, made with lean boneless pork and fiber-rich cannellini beans, gets its zesty kick from a couple of different kinds of peppers. It's definitely a great make-ahead dish that tastes better 1 to 3 days after it's made, or you can freeze it for up to a month and pull it out on a night when your family needs a warming, hearty dinner. Heat on low in the microwave, stirring occasionally, until it is thawed. Then heat until very hot either in the microwave or a warm oven.
- 1 1/2 pounds pepper(s), poblano chile (8-10 peppers) seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion(s) coarsely chopped
- 1 large pepper(s), green, bell roughly chopped
- 1 medium pepper(s), jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 6 clove(s) garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon oil, olive, extra-virgin
- 4 pounds pork, lean boneless cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cup(s) broth, chicken, less sodium
- 28 ounce(s) tomatoes, diced, no salt added with liquid
- 2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 30 ounce(s) beans, cannellini rinsed and drained
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
MAKE-AHEAD: Chili is best made 1 to 3 days before serving, since the flavor builds as it sits. Refrigerate in a covered container and gently reheat when ready to serve.
Pulse poblano peppers in a food processor until finely chopped but not puréed; transfer to a large bowl. Pulse onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped but not puréed. Strain to remove any excess liquid and combine vegetables with poblano peppers.
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pepper mixture, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are well softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in pork, broth, tomatoes and their liquid, and cumin.
Bring to a simmer, partially cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until pork is very tender, about 2 hours. Add beans and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes more. Serve hot or warm.
Makes 16 (1 cup) servings