Blackberry Oatmeal Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 1 cup blackberry jam or preserves (homemade or store bought)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 pan. (I don’t have one, so I use and 8×8)
2. Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add the egg and vanilla.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the butter mixture. Stir in 1 3/4 cups of the oats. Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. Spread the jam over the oatmeal base.
5. To the remaining dough add the remaining 1/4 cup of oats. Crumble this mixture evenly over the top of the jam.
5. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until nicely browned. Place on a wire rack to cool and then cut into squares.