Apple Crumb Coffee Cake -
Beegie - Braeburn or Golden Delicious
- Crumb Topping
- 1 C. Flour
- 2/3 C. Sugar
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 6 T. Butter, cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 C. Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 C. Butter, softened
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored & sliced
- 1 1/2 C + 2 T. Sugar
- 1/2 t. Cinnamon
- 2 t. Vanilla
- 2 C Flour
- 1 1/2 t. Baking Powder
- 1/2 t. Salt
- 2 Lg Eggs
- 3/4 C. Milk
1. Prepare Crumb Topping: In medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar & salt. , pinch in butter with fingers until well combined & large clumps form. Stir in walnuts and set aside.
2. To make cake: melt 1 T. butter in large skillet. Add apples, the 2 T. sugar & the cinnamon; cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender - 10-12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
3. Heat oven to 350.Grease &flour 10" tube pan (preferably with removable bottom). In large bowl w/ electric mixer , beat remaining 7 T. butter & 1 1/2 C. sugar until light & fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
4. Stir together flour, baking powder, & salt. Add half the flour mixture & the eggs to butter mixture; mix well. Add the remaining flour, then the milk & mix well. Fold in the apple slices. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan & top with crumb topping.
5. Bake 50-60 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan at least 15 min; invert cake to remove pan & cool completely.