Strawberry cake made with a mix and coconut, along with strawberry gelatin and fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix (approx. 18 to 21 ounces)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (3 oz) strawberry flavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup mashed fresh or frozen strawberries (if using frozen, drain some of the juice off and reserve)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 stick margarine (2 ounces), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup strawberries, mashed (drain and reserve juice)
- 5 to 6 cups sifted powdered sugar (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
Adapted from southernfood.about.com
Mix cake mix with strawberry flavored gelatin. Add oil, eggs, coconut, gelatin, and milk; and beat until well blended. Stir in 1 cup mashed strawberries and 1 cup pecans. Bake in 3 generously greased and floured 8- or 9-inch round layer pans at 350° for 35 minutes, or until cake tests done*.
To make the frosting, cream together cream cheese and butter; mix in vanilla and powdered sugar until firm but spreadable. Stir in drained strawberries and pecans. Drizzle cooled layers with reserved juice then spread with a layer of icing; ice sides and top.
Store cake in an airtight container or wrapping; refrigerate.
*Lightly touch cake in the center with a finger; if it springs back, the cake is done.