Mexican Coca-cola pulled pork
Only use soda made with real cane sugar..NO high fructose corn syrup, or even worse, diet sweetners. Only the real sugar carmelizes and develops the flavor correctly. The chemical stuff, ick, not so! Mexican Coca Cola imported to the US works best. Hansen's cane sweetened cola works too. If only the real cane sugar "Dublin" Dr Pepper was available again.. That would ROCK!
This recipe makes a smaller 2 1/2 -3 Qt slow cooker batch, you can double it for more. It also works with beef.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless country pork ribs- cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 bottle (cane sugar) Mexican Coca- cola
- 1 medium onion diced
- minced garlic- as much as you like
- 1 1/2 tsp dry hot mustard
- 1 tsp cayenne or ground red chili (or more if you like the kick)
- 1 TBS rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 3 TBS worchestershire sauce
- 1-2 sliced serrano peppers or 1 jalepeno
place the onions in the crock pot. Place the pork on top of the onions. Add the garlic, serrano, mustard, red chili, vinegar, soy and worchestershire. Pour the cola over all and give a stir to combine. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove the pork chunks with tongs onto a large plate or pan. Shred with 2 forks. Return the pork to the crock and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more kick if you want. Stir in more chopped fresh serrano or jalepeno, or red chili flakes if you like it spicier. Continue to cook for another hour.