Apple Cream Cheese Muffins
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened and divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup peeled and shredded Granny Smith apple
Adapted from pauladeenmagazine.com
Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 jumbo-size muffin cups with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and almond extract at medium speed with a mixer until smooth; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup flour, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in softened butter until mixture is crumbly; set topping aside.
In a large bowl, beat remaining 4 ounces cream cheese and remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add vegetable oil and milk, beating until smooth. Add eggs, beating until combined. Stir in shredded apple and flour mixture until well combined.
Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Divide cream cheese mixture among muffin cups, dropping into center of batter. Sprinkle batter with topping.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.