Chocolate Meringue Pie
The not-overly-sweet meringue topping on this chocolate pie is a nice balance to the rich chocolate filling.
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, store-bought or homemade, unbaked (fitted in a pie plate)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pie crust in plate on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until crust is golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely; set aside.
Put a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together 2/3 cup sugar, the cocoa powder, flour, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Whisk in egg yolks.
Place pan over medium heat; whisking constantly, cook until the first large bubble forms, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low; whisking constantly, cook 1 minute.
Immediately pour mixture through prepared sieve into bowl. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour warm filling into baked crust; cover surface directly with plastic wrap. Chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on top of filling, right up to edge of crust; bake until meringue is lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Rodelle Tiramisu 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Virgin Brown Cow 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Banana Orange Smoothie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Red Velvet Pound Cake 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Maple-Bourbon Basted Grilled Salmon 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon, Onion, &... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tyler Florence's Pan Roasted... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Rolo Ritz Cracker Cookies 4.2/5 (29 Votes)