GLAZED CITRUS - POPPY SEED CAKE
- For the Cake
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 or 3 lemons)
- 1/4 cup orange juice (from 1 large orange)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Cook's Note
- Cake can be stored at room temperature up to 2 days.
Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray, line bottom with parchment, and spray parchment. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter, sugar, and zests with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in lemon juice. Reduce speed to low, and beat flour mixture into butter mixture, alternating with cream and vanilla, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in poppy seeds.
Pour batter into cake pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and top is deeply golden, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool in pan 30 minutes. Unmold, and let cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
Make the glaze: Boil juices in a small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup. Let cool, then add sugar, stirring until it dissolves. Pour glaze over cooled cake.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2012