Meat Lovers Calzone
Did you know calzone means stuffed pants in Italian? Well this calzone stuffed with pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, cheese, mushrooms and olives gets the job done deliciously!
- 1 cup water, 120° to 130°F
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoon (1 package) Red Star Quick Rise or Platinum Yeast
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce, plus additional for serving
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from barbarabakes.com
Combine flour, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add liquid ingredients and mix with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed.
Gradually add additional flour if needed and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough doubles and passes the ripe test.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape to balls. Let dough relax 10 minutes. On floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
Spoon pizza sauce, cheese and toppings onto half of each circle. Moisten edge of dough with mixture of 1 egg and 1 teaspoon water. Fold in half; seal edge by pressing with fork. Prick each top; brush with remaining egg mixture.
Bake on greased cookie sheets for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.