Tuna Melt Calzones
These tuna melt calzones, a spin on classic tuna melts, are a great way to make use of tuna and frozen pizza doughs. They freeze well and make for an easy, satisfying lunch.
- 2 (170 gram) cans solid white tuna, water packed, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 (450 gram) ball frozen pizza dough, defrosted
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Adapted from todaysparent.com
Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine tuna and mayonnaise in a bowl and mash with a fork until well combined. Stir in celery, green onions and salt and mix until incorporated. Divide tuna mixture into 6 equal portions.
Place spinach in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook, tossing occasionally, until fully wilted. Let cool and then squeeze out excess liquid. Divide into 6 portions.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into 6 equal pieces. Gently form each piece into a ball and roll out into a 6-inch circle. Spread 1 portion of tuna mixture on half of each circle leaving a ½-inch border. Top each with 2 heaping tablespoons of cheddar cheese and spread a portion of spinach overtop.
Moisten inside edge with egg and fold dough over to enclose filling; press down edges to seal.
Cut two slits in the top of each calzone. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle each with ½ teaspoon Parmesan.
Bake calzones for 10 to 14 min or until tops and bottoms are deeply golden and filling bubbles through slits. Serve hot or let cool and pack.
These calzones freeze well, so they’re ready whenever you are. Bake from frozen in a 475f oven for 16 min, or until tops are nicely golden.
You'll also love
- Ravioli Lasagna Bolognese 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Beef & Curry Pie 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Mozzarella-Stuffed Crispy Baked... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Dutch Oven Baked Beans with Crisp... 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Cornmeal Pancakes with Rasperry... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Shrimp and Herb Risotto 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Sticky Garlic Chicken and Broccoli 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Sea Scallops Alla Caprese 4.6/5 (11 Votes)