BLACK GARLIC AÏOLI
- 3/4 cup mild flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 black garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg yolk,* at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon aged sherry wine vinegar
- 1- 2 teaspoons hot water
1. In a blender add the black garlic and egg yolk, blending just enough to blend.
3. With the machine running add the oil very slowly. The aioli becomes thicker the more oil you add. Add the oil until it is thick and stands up in soft peaks. Pour in the lemon juice and sherry wine vinegar and blend a few more seconds. Taste if it is too thick you can lighten it up with a teaspoon or so of hot water and add more salt if you like.
(If it breaks and the oil separates out and looks like a vinaigrette, don't throw it out. In a new bowl add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and very slowly whisk the broken mixture to the mustard. Whisk until it is all incorporated. I'm not sure why but this breaks more than any other aioli or mayonnaise. Just keep trying until it is emulsified and you will have a wonderful taste experience. )
Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yields about 1 1/2 cups